When only the best will do! Shop our selection of the highest quality and hard to find cuts of meat, along with our house-made and smoked sausages.
5 Ways Buying Your Meat Locally Helps
Because local farmers are unable to simply pick up and move their operations to new locations when business isn’t going as anticipated, buying food locally also allows you to support small farms that are primarily using sustainable techniques.
Purchasing meat locally is particularly important and beneficial not only for your health and budget but also for the environment. Keep reading below to learn about the top 5 benefits of buying meat locally.
Buying local meat can help cut back emissions
- There are fewer food miles associated with purchasing locally raised meat since farmers don’t have to travel far to get the meat into your freezer.
Purchasing local meat supports your community and economy, keeping your dollars local
- Supporting your local farms helps keep farmers self-employed and keeps their farms in your community, which in turn prevents more urban sprawl. If there is no local farm you can purchase from, you can urge your grocer to purchase from local farmers.
Buying meat locally is generally healthier
- Similar to knowing where your fruits and veggies are grown, knowing where your meat comes from and how it’s raised leads to a healthier lifestyle. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with your local farmers and their practices to make sure you are purchasing and consuming foods free from added hormones, antibiotics, preservatives, and/or chemicals. You can also find a local farm that specializes in free-range chicken and organic meats. If you speak to most local farmers, you’ll find they have a deep respect for animals and generally raise animals to have happy lives. Their animals typically are fed natural diets, not pumped full of steroids or antibiotics.
Buying local meat is actually more budget-friendly
- When you purchase local meat, you save the cost of shipping your food across the country, or even the cost of importing it from another country. Additionally, as the meat isn’t passing through a series of wholesalers and retailers, you’ll likely get the absolute best price for the meat (not including clearance items).
Local food, including meat, simply tastes better
- Sustainably raised local meats and produce are known to provide a far superior taste than their industrial farm counterparts. Similarly, pasture-raised and grass-fed meats tend to be much more flavorful and higher quality than factory-farmed varieties.